Arthritis Treatment With Chiropractic Care
Not everyone knows that our chiropractor in Pontiac, MI, can help patients manage arthritis pain. Dr. Leigh Elceser, D.C., of Joslyn Chiropractic Center, can provide you or loved ones with arthritis treatment. It might come as a surprise to you since many people think chiropractic is only for back pain and adjustments. In fact, we routinely treat pain affecting various joints due to degenerative diseases, accident or sports injury, and repetitive use.
What is Arthritis?
This is a degenerative disease that involves chronic inflammation of one or several joints. Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout are the most common types of the disease. Joints commonly affected are the knee, ankle, feet, wrist, shoulder, neck, and jaw. Osteoarthritis may also affect the facet joints in the spine or the sacroiliac joints. Spinal osteoarthritis, also called spondylosis, can lead to bone spurs (osteophytes), irritated nerves, sciatica, and spinal stenosis, all of which cause pain.
Common Causes and Risk Factors
The condition is generally caused by a breakdown and gradual loss of the cartilage around the joints, particularly in aging adults. This causes the bones in the joint to rub together leading to inflammation and pain. Genetics, injury or trauma, infections, and immune system dysfunction are other causes or risk factors.
- Joint pain and stiffness that is worse in the mornings
- Swelling or tenderness around the joint
- Decreased range of motion
- Lower back pain that radiates to the buttocks or hips
- Burning pain in the thigh or leg
Doctors generally prescribe NSAIDs and habit-forming painkillers, such as opioids, to treat the symptoms. However, these treatments cannot slow the cartilage loss and joint degeneration that causes the disease.
Our Chiropractor in Pontiac Can Help You Manage Arthritis Pain
We may elect to treat you following a comprehensive evaluation, which may include a physical exam, x-ray, MRI, or CT scan. Based on the findings, we may incorporate the following chiropractic techniques and natural therapies into your personalized treatment plan:
- Chiropractic Care: Care from our chiropractor is gentle, non-invasive, and drug-free. Chiropractic adjustment of the neck, shoulder, spine, hips, and other joints is done to relieve joint restrictions, improve pain, reduce inflammation, and increase mobility. It helps to minimize osteoarthritis joint damage as well as improve the spine and nervous system functions.
- Massage Therapy: Massaging the joints and soft tissue increases blood circulation and reduces swelling, stiffness, and inflammation.
- Lifestyle & Nutritional Counseling: Osteoarthritis flare-ups can be managed through a diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods, staying active, and maintaining a healthy weight. We can design a nutrition and lifestyle program that suits your needs.
Call Joslyn Chiropractic Today!
Manage pain, minimize flare-ups, and enjoy an active lifestyle with routine chiropractic care in Pontiac, MI. Contact Joslyn Chiropractic Center today. Call 248-332-0111 and we can schedule your consultation with Dr. Elceser.